What is the average cost to install french doors

French doors have become increasingly popular in home design due to their elegant aesthetics and ability to bring in natural light. If you’re considering installing French doors in your home, it’s essential to understand the average cost associated with the installation process. In this article, we will explore the various factors that influence the cost of installing French doors and provide a rough estimate of the average cost range.


Factors Affecting Cost:

The cost of installing French doors can vary based on several factors. Firstly, the size and style of the doors play a significant role. Larger doors or double doors tend to be more expensive than smaller, single doors. Sliding French doors may also have different price considerations compared to traditional hinged doors.

Additionally, the material selection affects the cost. Common materials for French doors include wood, fiberglass, and steel. Wood doors tend to be more expensive but offer a classic and natural aesthetic. Fiberglass doors are often more affordable and provide durability, while steel doors offer strength and security at a moderate cost.

The inclusion of additional features and customization options can also impact the overall cost. Opting for specific glass types, such as energy-efficient or tempered glass, can increase the price. Decorative elements like grids or custom hardware choices can add to the cost as well.


Labor Costs:

Professional installation is crucial for proper French door installation. The complexity of the process and the skill required contribute to labor costs. Factors such as the removal of existing doors, ensuring proper alignment and weatherproofing, and precise measurements all play a role in determining labor costs.

Local labor rates and market conditions also influence the overall cost. In areas with higher living costs or a higher demand for skilled contractors, the labor costs may be higher. It is advisable to obtain quotes from multiple contractors to compare prices and ensure a fair estimate.


Average Cost Range:

While the cost of installing French doors can vary significantly based on the factors mentioned above, a rough estimate of the average cost range can be provided. On average, homeowners can expect to spend anywhere from $1,500 to $4,000 for French door installation. This estimate includes both materials and labor costs.

Breaking down the average cost, materials typically account for around 60% to 70% of the total cost, while labor makes up the remaining 30% to 40%. Additional features and customization options can increase the overall cost, depending on the choices made.

It’s important to note that regional variations can impact the average cost. Costs may be higher in areas with higher living costs or where specialized contractors are in high demand. Conversely, areas with lower living costs may offer more affordable options.


Tips for Cost Savings:

If you’re looking to lower the overall cost of French door installation, consider the following tips:

  • Obtain multiple quotes: Reach out to different contractors to compare prices and services offered. This will help you get a better understanding of the market and ensure a fair estimate.
  • Consider alternative materials: If budget is a concern, explore more affordable material options like fiberglass or steel, which can still provide durability and style.
  • Minimize additional features: Opt for standard glass types and avoid excessive customization to keep costs in check.
  • Proper maintenance: Regularly clean and maintain your French doors to prevent damage and avoid costly repairs in the future.



Installing French doors can enhance the beauty and functionality of your home, but it’s essential to consider the associated costs. The average cost to install French doors ranges from $1,500 to $4,000, depending on factors such as size, style, material, labor, and additional features. By understanding these factors and exploring cost-saving strategies, you can make informed decisions and ensure a successful installation. Remember to research and consult with professionals to obtain accurate quotes based on your specific needs and location.